Sunday 20 September 2009

Mika 'Happy Ending'

Chart Peak: 7

YouTube

I suppose it's a measure of how little I enjoyed writing that last post that I was actually quite looking forward to getting to Mika. In fairness, 'Happy Ending' finds him on relatively non-irritating form, sounding more like a song than the vehicle for posing that many of his other hits seem to be. Or perhaps that's just because this is a reworked single version.

There's actually a germ of maturity in the composition here, a dry-eyed reflection on a failed relationship, and there's even a melody, although he does his best to conceal it with the annoying falsetto vocal. Perhaps that's why it starts on backing vocals, to lull you into a false sense of security. Still, I can't think of a Mika song I'd rather be forced to listen to.

Also appearing on: Now 66, 67, 68
Available on: Essential Songs 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment