Thursday 3 September 2009

Britney Spears 'Piece Of Me'

Chart Peak: 2

YouTube

I've never really believed in the concept of Guilty Pleasures, but this is about the closest that I come. Not because it's being sung by somebody who didn't write it, or is somehow not "real" music but because this entire album, released at the depths of her well-publicised problems, seems very like exploitation - and especially on this track, which seems to be cashing in to an almost offensive extent. Annoyingly though, it's one of the best records she's ever made, possibly because she has so little to do with it - in fact, her vocal is distorted almost beyond recognition in pursuit of a harsh, angular soundscape, as is the backing vocal by Robyn.

I wouldn't have paid money for this, especially not at the time, but I was sort of glad it fell into my lap. I couldn't watch the video though.

Also appearing on: 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 57, 58, 68, 70, 72, 73
Available on: Blackout

No comments:

Post a Comment