Monday 23 March 2009

Jan Hammer 'Crockett's Theme'

Chart Peak: 2

YouTube

OK, so Karel Fialka is of partly Czech parentage, and Jan Hammer is also Czech. Were they doing this on purpose?

I've never seen an episode of Miami Vice, and at the time I didn't really know what it was about (when you're nine, a vice is something in the woodwork room) or who Crockett might be, but I was dimly aware that it was supposed to be a big deal, which would explain the two big hit singles from the soundtrack; this one charted higher in the UK than the actual theme tune.

Chiefly, I remember seeing this performed on Top Of The Pops, and my dad sagely commenting that the whole thing sounded like an intro. I don't think I could put it better than that myself. Nowadays, I have more appreciation for the work that would go into creating music with the technology of the day, and I'm prepared to be generous and assume that it sounded good in the TV show itself. But listened to as a stand-alone tune it's just dreary.

Also appearing on: Now 6
Available on: Escape From Television

No comments:

Post a Comment