Wednesday 25 March 2009

Erasure 'The Circus'

Chart Peak: 6

YouTube

It came as a slight surprise that this was only Erasure's third Top 10 single, because I thought I remembered them having being more or less a constant run of the things throughout the second half of the decade. They certainly seemed to be in every Chart Show Indie Chart, while I was trying to work out what that word meant.

Mind you, 'The Circus' isn't a song I remember hearing at the time. And indeed, although I remember that I heard it on the radio a few weeks ago, I don't remember what it sounded like from then either. Even when I've listened to it to this, the tune hasn't stuck with me. In some ways, there's an obvious comparison with 'Hey Matthew', in that they both seem to be trying to make some rather vague point about the travails of modern life, and the style is similar. But somehow the Erasure record charms me less, possibly because I've never cared for Andy Bell as a vocalist, or because I know Vince Clarke could do better than this, or because I've heard so many other Erasure songs that sound similar.

Also appearing on: Now 09, 13, 14, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 28, 29, 54

Available on:
Erasure Pop!: The First 20 Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment