Monday 9 March 2009

T'Pau 'China In Your Hand'

Chart Peak: 1 (5 weeks)
YouTube

Nine tracks in and this is only the second Number One single, albeit a long-running one (indeed it was the incumbent at the time of release) and one with a very minor place in history as the 600th single to top the UK chart.

I used to know all the words to this. Or at least, I thought I did: for some reason I thought the chorus was "Don't push too far your dreams of china in your hand," whereas in fact T'Pau are claiming that dreams *are* china in our hands. Yet as my mother, who used to work in the crockery department at Jones Brothers, pointed out, china isn't actually that likely to break in your hands, which is why they make teacups and things out of it. Still, it makes as much sense as the rest of the song, I suppose - when I was nine, I think I just assumed that songs were meant to be written in this sort of self-consciously "important" psuedo-mystical way, but now I know better. I also know that it's possible to write much better tunes than this, but by far the worst part of this must be moment when it appears to end, only to break into that ghastly sax solo. At best this is a terribly watered-down version of 'Total Eclipse Of The Heart', at worst it's everything dislikeable about 80s music.

Also appearing on: Now 11, 12, 13
Available on: T'Pau: The Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment