Friday 20 March 2009

Bananarama 'Love In The First Degree'

Chart Peak: 3

YouTube

Connections ahoy! The flipside of this single, 'Mr Sleaze' (credited to Stock Aitken Waterman) samples the laughter from the original version of 'Wipeout'. What was it you were saying about samples, Pete Waterman?

Anyway, whether the other side helped or hindered it, this was apparently the biggest-selling Bananarama single in the UK and aside from their contributions to charity ensembles, they never charted higher. Of course, they differ from most SAW acts in that they were already established, if struggling, when they called in the star producers, and weren't groomed by them for stardom; possibly for this reason they appeared to have more say in the sound of their records than some of the acts who were signed to the PWL label. By 1987 I was already aware that these records were something you weren't supposed to like, but I have a vague idea that I did enjoy at least this one, despite myself. For a long time in my teens and early adulthood I wouldn't have gone near it, but I'm more tolerant now. It's a decent tune, and winningly daft, although the production isn't to my taste and it's got to be said that the vocal performance is a bit lame. Still, reassuring that they can't keep a straight face in that video either.

Also appearing on: Now 3, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14 (with Lananeeneenoonoo), 15
Available on: The Greatest Hits and More More More

No comments:

Post a Comment