Friday 13 March 2009

Whitesnake 'Here I Go Again [USA Remix]'

Chart Peak: 9 [original version 34)

YouTube

One thing this definitely has in common with the previous track is that it was already several years old. In 1987 David Coverdale and the musicians who were then Whitesnake produced a re-recording of the original 1982 hit, which replaces the word "hobo". This was remixed in turn in a bid for plays on US radio, and a successful one too, as it managed a week at the top of the Hot 100. It's that version which appears here.

And yet again, I'm mildly disappointed by a track on this album. Not that I'd have very high hopes, otherwise I might have made more of an effort to listen to it in the intervening couple of decades, but it was one I didn't hate. Whilst I still appreciate the lack of lecherous content here everything else is weaker than I remember it. Like Billy Idol again, it's really only the hairstyles that make this recognisable as rock, because everything else is so layered in keyboards, thudding echoey drums and endless reworking as to be without identity; the chorus isn't as strong as I thought it was either. Coverdale is a good singer, but not good enough to make this work. One of the better tracks on this side of the album, but that isn't saying much.


Also appearing on:
Now 11
Available on: 30th Anniversary Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment