Tuesday 10 March 2009

Heart 'Alone'

Chart Peak: 3

YouTube

Generally speaking, I'm not the sort to accuse people of selling out. But it's hard to be generous to such a shameless piece of power balladry. In fact this pushes the usual buttons so predictably that the most surprising thing about it is that it wasn't written by Diane Warren, or even Albert Hammond: it's Billy Steinberg & Tom Kelly, so not a lot better really.

If I really really try to be positive, I suppose I can say that Ann Wilson puts in a decent vocal performance. And this is better than Celine Dion's version - apparently Robert Forster from the Go-Betweens has had a go too, which might be interesting. This is one occasion when I definitely can't blame the fans who didn't approve of their new direction though, three weeks at the top of the US chart or no.

Also appearing on: Now 12
Available on: Greatest Hits: 1985-1995

No comments:

Post a Comment