Wednesday 11 March 2009

Kiss 'Crazy Crazy Nights'

Chart Peak: 4

YouTube

Perhaps nine was the right age at which to hear this record. I don't specifically remember my opinion of it at that time, but it does have a slightly tantrum-esque quality that seems particularly suited to that age group.

I think this sort of consciously anthemic rock is something you need the right sort of mindset to appreciate. I don't think I have that mindset now, if I ever had: it doesn't mean that there are no records of that type I like, just that it's not something I'd consider inherently worthwhile. Kiss are singing to the people who do think that.

'Crazy Crazy Nights' plays to the rock-rebel pose, the idea that we're all being held back by some unspecified "they" and that we should all kick back and have a party. Fair enough, but the trouble is that 21 years later, it doesn't sound like a party, more like a day at the office. Any atmosphere of rebellion or challenge or even fun is undermined by the very sound of the record, which is so calculated and overproduced as to lose any excitement. And they're so tough and dangerous they wimp out of saying the word "crap". But maybe I'll like it more when I reach my fifties.

PS - Anyone who does manage to see this video should probably be warned that Kiss aren't wearing their make-up. It's probably scarier than when they were.

Available on: Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment