Sunday 15 March 2009

Marillion 'Sugar Mice'

Chart Peak: 22

YouTube

This is a review I approached with some trepidation, knowing that Marillion are a group with a loyal and vocal online fanbase. So here's the deal: I promise not to mention 'Kayliegh' and you promise not to leave comments telling me I'd like it more if it was by Radiohead, OK?

'Sugar Mice' was, by all accounts, the climax of Clutching At Straws, the band's last album with Fish. Apparently, it's a concept album about a failed rock star with a drink problem, and naturally you can draw your own conclusions about where Fish got the idea from. Listened to outwith that context - but in the knowledge that the singer was about to quit - it's tempting to hear it as the lament of a still-in-the-business rock star, regretting the way his work takes him away from home, etc. That would also explain why a man with a pronounced Scottish accent was watching the telly in Milwaukee; I presume this is accounted for elsewhere in the original album, but of course a Now album buyer wouldn't have that to go on either.

'Sugar Mice' is another song on this album that I hadn't heard - or really heard of - until I got here, and whilst I'm not going so far as to agree with the reviewer who called it the best song ever, it's probably the first track on Now 10 that I've liked more than I expected to. That said, I don't particularly like Fish's vocals. Sorry fans.

Also appearing on: Now 5, 6
Available on: Clutching at Straws

No comments:

Post a Comment