Saturday 21 March 2009

Cliff Richard 'My Pretty One'

Chart Peak: 6

YouTube

Even accounting for the fact that most of his landmark releases were before the advent of the Now albums, it's remarkable how rarely Sir Cliff actually crops up in the series. With hindsight, some of the choices seem even more remarkable: I've hardly heard of any of them, and there are definitely post-1983 Cliff songs I do remember - not least 'Some People', the follow up to this one. But if I'd ever heard 'My Pretty One' before this week, I've forgotten about it.

Apart from the fact of its existence, 'My Pretty One' doesn't spring a lot of surprises. Writer/producer Alan Tarney had penned one of his best and most enduring latter-day singles in 1979's 'We Don't Talk Anymore' (and yes, I am aware that I just referred to a record from thirty years ago there, but it seems latter-day in context) but this isn't in the same league. Instead, it seems almost the stereotypical Cliff record of this era - trying to stay in touch with the times (because obviously he still wanted to be a success) but also dated even then: I mean, calling somebody "My pretty one"? Really? Whatever, it makes no sense at all now, but evidently worked for some people at the time: the parent LP Always Guaranteed is reportedly the biggest selling studio album of his career.

Also appearing on: Now 6, 15, 16, 17
Available on: Always Guaranteed

No comments:

Post a Comment