Friday 28 May 2010

Tiffany 'I Think We're Alone Now'

Chart Peak: 1 (3 weeks)

YouTube

One thing that really sticks in my mind about this one is seeing the video on the Chart Show, and a little caption coming up saying that she "began singing around the house when she was two". My Dad asked, don't all children do that? He had a point there. I also remember trying to read the inscription in the wing mirror of the car ("OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR"), because British cars didn't have that. We didn't have shopping malls that size either, at least not then.

In 1988, the only reason I'd heard of Tommy James And The Shondells was because of Billy Idol's version of 'Mony Mony', which ironically enough went on to knock this off the top of the US chart. I didn't know then that the lyrics about heartbeats at the start and end of this version aren't actually on their original. Making the comparison, the Shondells are more the style of music I like, but Tiffany actually seems to capture the actual meaning rather better; despite the synthetic production, she really does sound like a breathless teenager. In fact now I'm about twice the age she was then, it's just a little bit uncomfortable. I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but whenever I look up an old song on YouTube, there's almost certain to be a comment from somebody complaining that pop music has become too sexual since [insert date of record here]. Even on this song, which is blatantly about some teenagers sneaking off for some action out of sight of adults. Not that I knew when I was ten of course, I was too busy reading wing mirrors.

Available on: Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment