Wednesday 26 May 2010

Bananarama 'I Want You Back'

Chart Peak: 5

YouTube

Funnily enough, when I bought Now 12 I couldn't remember a thing about this song except that it wasn't the Jackson Five one - the sleevenote doesn't feel the need to mention the difference here, unlike the Aswad case earlier, but perhaps that's because a remix of the Jacksons' track was in the charts at the same time as this.

Either way, once I played the record I recognised it instantly. This was (as I'd also forgotten) the first single to feature Jackie O'Sullivan, although the original album version featured the original band. This being deep into the SAW era, though, it doesn't seem to matter all that much who's singing, even if the Nanas seemed to have more creative input than most of their charges and indeed co-wrote the song. Mostly, it seems to be one of those songs that piles on a whole batch of mediocre choruses instead of one really strong one, leading to a rather bitty effect. It passes the time I suppose, but it's not really surprising that I don't seem to be the only one who's forgotten it.

Also appearing on: 3, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14 (with Lananeeneenoonoo), 15
Available on: The Very Best of Bananarama

No comments:

Post a Comment