Sunday 2 May 2010

Belinda Carlisle 'Circle In The Sand'

Chart Peak: 4

YouTube

When I wrote about Ms Carlisle before, I mentioned the effect I recall this track having on my younger self. Since I also went on to say how much the track I was reviewing there disappointed me in retrospect, it was with both trepidation and embarassment that I re-approached 'Circle In The Sand'. Actually, it's weathered somewhat better than its younger sibling, although it has nothing like the same impact on me as an adult. Probably no bad thing, to be fair.

It does actually seem to have something nursery-rhyme-like about it now. It sounds decidedly artificial too, but in a way that actually helps here, as the constant drum machine seems to accentuate the circularity of the song; indeed it comes as something of a surprise that the songs comes to an actual end instead of the fade it seems to be heading for. It also makes a good background for her vocal, which is technically limited but delivers a decent amount of personality, especially towards the end. It's a pity the middle eight seems to go nowhere though.I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to this nowadays, but I have more affection for it than I expected.

Also appearing on: Now 11, 16, 18, 19, 20, 26, 34, 35
Available on: A Place on Earth: the Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment