Wednesday 6 May 2009

Belinda Carlisle 'In Too Deep'

Chart Peak: 6

YouTube

After our little Bon Jovi confessional the other day, I might as well keep going. I don't suppose it's terribly shameful to say that 'Circle In The Sand' made at least some contribution to persuading my ten-year old self that girls might be more interesting than I'd previously assumed. I had less excuse by the time I was of voting age, but there's no denying that it once crossed my mind to buy the seven-inch picture disc of this, with '(We Want) The Same Thing' on the flipside. What was I thinking?

Actually, even when I came to do this review, I thought I remembered this as being a bit better. The lead piano line that I remembered is alright, but slower and less energetic than I remember, and not strong enough to bear the weight of the overproduction, nor even of lyrical howlers like "Thanks for the crash-course/You came riding on your noble horse". A decent vocal, at least, but it really doesn't do the trick. Still a big improvement over Bryan Adams, though.


Also appearing on:
Now 11, 12, 16, 18, 19, 20, 26, 35
Available on: A Woman & A Man

2 comments:

  1. I've never been ashamed to say that I think this is a cracking record, and Belinda Carlisle's discography is, in general, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still quite like her voice, and there are songs by her that I think I like - but after being disappointed so much by this I'm a bit disinclined to go back to them. Perhaps I'm better off remembering them in my head...

    ReplyDelete