Tuesday 25 August 2009

Rihanna 'Don't Stop the Music'

Chart Peak: 4

YouTube

As I publish this blog under my own name, it may not come as a great surprise that this track is one of the reasons I hesitated to cover this album. It didn't seem like a great idea a few months ago to be posting negative things about her music.

It's fortunate that, at least now, this is one of the songs of hers I'd be least negative about anyway. At the time it was pretty annoying, thanks to heavy airplay and the repetition of that sample from Michael Jackson's 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' (ironically, also a fourth single); but in an alternative universe where this wasn't a hit, or maybe even where it wasn't the fourth of seven singles from the album, it would actually be quite effective in conjuring an atmosphere of anticipation. Her voice is at its least irritating here too. Of course, it's still not as good as the original 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', or perhaps I should say the original 'Soul Makossa'.

Also appearing on: Now 62, 63, 64, 65, 67, 68, 70, 71, 72 (with T.I.), 74 (with Jay-Z and Kanye West)
Available on: Good Girl Gone Bad

No comments:

Post a Comment