Thursday 13 August 2009

E-Zee Posse featuring MC Kinky 'Everything Starts With an 'e'

Chart Peak: 15 (69 in 1989)

YouTube

Maybe I'm reading a bit too much into this, but I think there maybe some references to drug use on this track...

One of the most successful releases on Boy George's More Protein label (he also contributes backing vocals), this is a track that I definitely wasn't hearing on the radio at the time, thanks to the controversial title. I'm not sure it was much of a loss though, as this seems to sum up a lot of the sort of things I dislike about this era of dance music, not least the slightly annoying Jamaican/Yorkshire accent adopted by Kinky. There's also a definite smugness about the record that I find deeply annoying - if they want to take drugs, that's up to them, but it's not really all that interesting to me. And it's not as if they've snuck the allusion in subtly enough to claim they're being subversive either.

Available on: Lucky for Some

No comments:

Post a Comment