Tuesday 17 February 2009

Enrique Iglesias 'Bailamos'

Chart Peak: 3

YouTube

It says on his YouTube profile that he's been a one-man ambassador of global culture since 1997. Back in 1999, though, it didn't seem that way - he was just another singer (albeit one with a famous parent) having a hit in the fashionable Latin style. In fact, I barely gave this record a second thought at the time.

I've given it a second one now. I can appreciate it's well put together, but it doesn't interest me much more than it did then. Perhaps it gains from the fact that there aren't dozens of similar tracks in the charts at the moment, but I still don't want to dance with him. Neither indeed do I want to see the film Wild Wild West which apparently includes this track. Maybe it's because this was from a movie that when the follow-up missed the Top 40 (in the very same week as Lou Bega's) I didn't think we'd be hearing from him again. Spare a thought for Julio Iglesais Jr...


Also appearing on: Now 51, 52, 53, 57 (with Kelis), 67, 68
Available on: Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment