Thursday 26 February 2009

Liquid Child 'Diving Faces'

Chart Peak: 25

YouTube

Needless to say, Now That's What I Call A Challenge does not in any way endorse copyright infringement, but it is rather helpful that somebody ripped this track straight off Now 44 so I could be sure I was listening to the right version.
Anyway, 'Diving Faces' represents journey's end for this particular album. It's the one track here that I was sure I'd never heard, nor even heard of, being a comparatively minor hit from an act not especially well-known; this may explain why it was pushed to the very end of the disc (and possibly also why we only get this rather brief edit, when longer versions evidently exist).

For a moment, I thought about bringing on a guest blogger for this track, as it's so remote from any music I know anything about. I don't mean that as any kind of insult to the record itself, because I'm sure a lot of people who love this couldn't grasp what I like about The Wedding Present either - it's just a different set of priorities. Trance is such foreign territory to me that I'm not completely sure I'd even know this was trance if I hadn't been told. I believe the people who tell me that this sort of thing is energising, and one of the other YouTube clips even shows some people being energised by a version of this. But to me, sitting in front of a computer on a February evening? Nope. And those whispered vocals (which I suspect are a later addition, as they certainly don't appear on all versions of the song) are more creepy than appealing to me. I might as well be trying to review a book in a language I can't understand, frankly.

I presume, although I haven't bothered to research it, that "diving faces" is a reference to people in clubs who seem to be gasping for air. I'll let you guess for yourself what would cause them to do that.

Available on: Classic Trance Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment