Tuesday 19 January 2010

Heaven 17 'Sunset Now'

Chart Peak: 24

YouTube

Their only appearance with a song that isn't 'Temptation', as the big follow-up hit 'Come Live With Me' never made the cut. In fact this is a remarkably small hit to have shown up on here at all, and whatever impression it might have made is long forgotten now, so I heard it for the first time over the weekend. With that in mind I did wonder whether I should hold back a bit and give the song more of a chance to grow on me, but I'm enough of a procrastinator at the best of times, so it's first and second impressions to go on.

At first, I was distracted by the admirably low-budget video: the cardboard cut-out of the band which pops up (literally) for the backing vocal is cute. In fact, the song itself hasn't made a lot of impact on me at all, as indeed is the case with most of their oeuvre. It seems like another instance of their sarcasm; a deadpan delivery of lyrics that, written down, seem to be about a war, but I sense that the formula had been used better before. I reserve the right to change my mind though.

Also appearing on: Now 1, 23
Available on: How Men Are

No comments:

Post a Comment