Wednesday 6 January 2010

Bronski Beat 'Why?'

Chart Peak: 6

YouTube (live version)

Another oddly difficult one to track down on YouTube, but I have managed to hear it. I think this might have been the first time I heard it in full though of course I recognised the hook from Supermode's hit. Until then it was heavily overshadowed by 'Smalltown Boy', and I can sort of see why. It certainly grabs the attention (at the start of the album as well as in its own right) with Jimmy Somerville's high-pitched call of "Tell Me Why!", setting the scene for a righteous four minutes of questioning homophobia, set to a powerful dance beat.

It was (and arguably still would be) bold to attack the subject so directly as "Contempt in your eyes as I turn to kiss his lips..." but the nature of the arrangement and performance make the finished article anything but aggressive. Like a lot of Somerville's work, I admire it more than I really enjoy it. Good as it was of them not to repeat the formula of 'Smalltown Boy' directly, I do rather miss the haunting quality that was such a strength of that song.

Also appearing on: Now 3
Available on: Age of Consent/Platinum Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment