Saturday 16 January 2010

The Style Council 'Shout To The Top!'

Chart Peak: 7

YouTube

Apparently this is in yet another film I've never seen, Vision Quest, but here in the UK at least I don't think it's closely enough associated with the film to earn that "from the movies" tag.
I often find it hardest to write about the songs I'm fondest of, and this is part of the problem, I face with 'Shout To The Top!' - I'd never have put it on a list of my ten favourite songs, probably not even even my ten favourite Weller songs, but there's something very right about it that doesn't seem to lend itself to unpicking. By this seventh Council single, he seemed to have got over the determination to sound unlike The Jam, and relaxed a bit into a run of good singles before they started to lose their way.

Although it's obviously intended to be a political call to arms (and as the video suggest, it was inspired by the Miner's Strike) but it remains wisely non-specific, concentrating on the vibe and creating an uplifiting joyful atmosphere that doesn't make it seem like homework to listen to. A solid group performance is bolstered by the immaculate string arrangement and one of his best vocals. Perhaps too sweet a concoction for some but it's by far my favourite on the album so far. Even the slap bass is well concealed in the mix.

Also appearing on: Now 3, 5, 10, 14
Available on: The Sound Of The Style Council

No comments:

Post a Comment