Friday 4 December 2009

The Shamen 'Ebeneezer Goode'

Chart Peak: 1 (4 weeks)

YouTube

Perhaps I led a bit of a sheltered life, but even at the age of 14 I didn't really grasp what this song was meant to be about. At least, not until I heard John Humphrys on The Today Programme saying "E's are good, E's are good". Enough people got the joke for a month at the top of the chart, coinciding with a BBC drug awareness week apparently.

In my defence, I never really thought this song was about anything else either. I paid even less attention to dance than to other music back then and it was something I just looked down on. Since then, I've grown to have more of an appreciation of the style (and I've also spotted the "oh what a carry-on" in the fade, so I know the Sid James impression was intentional). Perhaps deservedly for a record that was such a phenomenon in its day, though, it sounds completely of its time now.

Also appearing on: Now 22, 26
Available on: The Shamen Collection

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic track. Even now and especially love the Sid James reference.

    ReplyDelete