Monday 28 December 2009

Enya 'Book Of Days'

Chart Peak: 10

YouTube

Thinking about this post over the Christmas break, I thought I could vaguely remember how this song went, or at least the chorus. Then it dawned on me that the song I was thinking of was 'Book Of Dreams' by Suzanne Vega. As it turned out, though, I still know this one as the song from Far And Away (or, to be strictly accurate, from the trailer; I've never seen the film). Apparently the song was re-written with English lyrics for the occasion, and this supplanted the Gaelic version for the single and subsequent pressings of the Shepherd Moons album [naughty shepherd!] so I presume that'll also have been the version featured here. But I've got to admit that at the time I never even noticed it was in a language I could understand. Sorry Enya.

I'd always been under the impression that people didn't listen to Enya for the lyrical content anyway. It seems to me that you listen to Enya if you want to hear something that sounds like Enya, and this track certainly delivers on that score. What it doesn't seem to me to have, for all the success, is the obvious crossover appeal of hits like 'Orinoco Flow' or 'Anywhere Is'. Tom Cruise or no Tom Cruise, I wonder how many owners of Now 23 listened to this track every time.

Also appearing on: Now 20, 33, 59 [with The Pirates, Shola Ama, Naila Boss and Ishani]
Available on: The Very Best of Enya

No comments:

Post a Comment