Saturday 19 December 2009

Vanessa Paradis 'Be My Baby'

Chart Peak:

YouTube

A reviewer of the album where this track first appeared calls it "The best Lenny Kravitz record ever, coz he only sings on one song..." and I think that's a pretty fair point. At the risk of giving too much away for future posts, I find Kravitz quite irritating (though I may not have been very aware of him at the time; his only major hit before this was 'It Ain't Over Till It's Over'). Whilst he co-wrote and produced this track and apparently contributed several instruments too, his presence isn't immediately apparent here so I can judge it more on its merits.

And it's an enjoyable slice of self-consciously retro pop, with a much lighter touch than Kravitz seems to display on his own work. Coming back to it now, it's held up surprisingly well (especially compared to her other big hit, 'Joe Le Taxi') and doesn't sound as dated as I feared it might, the pastiche still outweighing any sense of the 1990s. It's not quite as good as I thought at the time, although my 14-year-old head may have been turned slightly by that bit in the video where it looks a bit like she's naked. Still a good track though.

Also appearing on: Now 11
Available on: Vanessa Paradis

No comments:

Post a Comment