Wednesday 30 December 2009

Roy Orbison and kd lang 'Crying'

Chart Peak: 13

YouTube

Another track with a movie connection. As eny fule kno, 'Crying' was originally a 1961 hit for Orbison (though a surprisingly minor one on the UK) and ultimately topped the chart when covered by Don McLean. This duet was recorded for the 1987 film Hiding Out (me neither, but it sounds awful) and I can't really remember why it was reactivated in 1992. Surely not because of Only Fools And Horses?

Anyway, this rendition has quite a good reputation but I have to say that for me it's never really clicked. It's better than some versions of this song out there, but to me it undersells the drama of the Orbison original. It does have a certain weight that some of this album lacks, however.

Roy Orbison also appears on: Now 14, 22
kd lang also appears on: Now 24
Available on: King of Hearts

No comments:

Post a Comment