Saturday 17 January 2009

Shania Twain 'That Don't Impress Me Much'

Chart Peak: 3

YouTube

Sometimes, the reviews just write themselves, don't they?
This wasn't one I was especially looking forward to making myself listen to, and it's compounded by the fact that I had to go through several search results to try and find the version that was actually released in Europe (I try to link to official videos where possible, but Universal have only uploaded the country version for some reason). At least it's a song I've been subjected to often enough before that I didn't need to play the thing more than once. And there is a nice car in the video.

You might have guessed, if you read between the lines, that I'm not really a fan of this, the fourth of six UK hits from the huge Come On Over album. It's another in the line of trite, self-consciously perky songs she co-wrote with her then husband "Mutt" Lange. This one amps up the forced jokiness even more than usual, but what makes it exceptionally irritating - other than its lengthy chart run - is Lange's clumsy production on the pop version that was released here. He's evidently working outside his idiom in trying to tackle dance here, so we get some already-dated beats and what sounds like a synthesised bagpipe, which merely exacerbate the general shrillness of the track. The best I can say is that Twain sounds like she's enjoying herself: I wish I was.

Also appearing on: Now 39, 45, 46
Available on:Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment