Monday 12 January 2009

Culture Club 'Victims'

Chart Peak: 3

YouTube


And so we end, slightly randomly, with the follow-up to 'Karma Chameleon'. It's another song I didn't think I remembered, but found vaguely familiar by the time I actually got round to listening. I suppose it's one of those songs that I heard at the time but wasn't among the four hits or so that most big acts are allowed by posterity.

'Victims' finds the Club in power-ballad mode. It's certainly less potentially irritating than their bigger hit, and is possibly even the sort of thing I'd think was OK if it was by somebody I already thought I liked. Unfortunately, it begins to lose its way in the middle, once the drums and other instruments arrive. Perhaps it was different a quarter of a century ago, but it does seem to get a bit predictable, and it comes over as overproduced. It sounds - and I hope fans will forgive me for saying this - a bit like the sort of record an X-Factor winner might release. I should probably also confess that I've never been especially fond of Boy George's voice, although I know some are.

It's not unpleasant though, and you can tell why it was a hit in Britain - strangely, it wasn't released as a single in the USA. Apparently, there were rumours in 2007 that Kylie Minogue was going to release this as her comeback single, and even that makes a bit of sense.

Edit 13th January 2010: I've found the track 'Shirley Temple Moment' which depicts George storming off in a huff while recording this very track.

Also appearing on: Now 2, 4, 41 and 43
Available on: Colour By Numbers

No comments:

Post a Comment