Friday 9 January 2009

The Cure 'The Lovecats'

Chart Peak: 7

YouTube

I could be wrong, but I always had the impression that real Cure fans didn't like this very much. I think that might be part of the attraction, that and the bass.

The Goth thing never appealed to me much, and there's quite a lot about The Cure that I find sort of annoying, but I have to admit that they have a few pop songs in the catalogue that I can enjoy. This is usually one of them, although it's obviously a record that can be annoying under the wrong circumstances. Possibly if I'd heard it a lot when it was new, that would have been the case; actually on second thoughts as a child I'd probably have loved it, but an adult me might not be so keen. And of course you can see why people who'd been fans for years might resent this becoming an unprecedentedly big hit for them.

One thing I might not have appreciated at the time was the felinity of this song - I didn't really get to know any cats then. The lyrical references are all obvious (except maybe landing "hand in hand") but there's also a certain slinky quality about it. I like to imagine that they sealed the deal by having a nap after they'd finished recording it.

Incidentally, well as I know this song I still had to look up the correct spelling of the title. I based it on the images I found of the cover, but I'm open to corrections.

Also appearing on: Now 15, 18, 21, 22
Available on: Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment