Thursday 29 January 2009

Diana Ross 'Not Over You Yet'

Chart Peak: 9

YouTube

Quick trivia question - who was born first, Diana Ross or Bob Marley?


The answer is Miss Ross, by a matter of months. The reason I thought of the question was because Bob Marley is someone I never really remembered being alive, so he seems a(n) historically remote figure to me, whereas Ross continued to have hits regularly throughout the first couple of decades of my life. This was the last of them though, unless you count a collaboration with Westlife that nobody remembers.

The other reason I mention it is that I was struggling a bit to find much to say about the track itself. It's forgettable enough that I've actually had to listen to it a second time in order to say anything at all. The most remarkable thing about it is how anonymous it sounds, for a hit single by such a famous act.
Admittedly, she's not somebody you'd tend to associate with a particular style, but even her voice isn't readily recognisable, at least in the mix released as a UK single (the vocal has some pitchshifting effects reminiscent of the speed garage hits a couple of years earlier). It could easily be mistaken for Janet Jackson, and if I didn't know I'd have guessed it was a few years older than it actually is.

Apparently, this was nowhere near a hit in America, which is presumably why all the copies of the video on YouTube seem to have been taped from the British children's TV show Live & Kicking.

Also appearing on: Now 21, 22
Available on: Love and Life: The Very Best of Diana Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment