Monday 19 January 2009

Eiffel 65 'Blue (Da Ba Dee)'

Chart Peak: 1 (3 weeks)

YouTube

Remember all that fuss about Kanye West's new direction a couple of months ago? I never saw anyone quote this as a possible influence on him. Yes, it's vocoders or pitchshifters or whatever particular device they used in the studio that day. I've got to admit it's an effect I've always found quite irritating, although at the time I didn't mind this one so much.
Like 'Mambo No 5' this was a song that tickled the Top 40 on import sales alone, presumably thanks to pre-release airplay and returning tourists. Here in the depths of winter it's not quite so much fun as I remembered it. I still feel mildly defensive about it though. The band have admitted that the lyrics are nonsensical (really?) but they sound as if they at least represent a tiny amount of effort and I suppose you could read something into them if you wanted to. And the tune is catchy enough - but, sorry, it's the vocoder. Mind you, I don't know how the vocals would have sounded without them.

Eiffel 65 were somewhat luckier than Lou Bega in the UK market. Not just the extra week at the top, but they also managed a second hit with the inferior 'Move Your Body' (more vocoder, but no attention-grabbing lyrical conceit) and even a Top 20 album.
Oh, and I don't know about anyone else, but I hate videos that play sound effects over the music. Especially when I'm doing this.


Available on: Europop

1 comment:

  1. Still played quite regularly over the PA at Lancaster City.

    ReplyDelete