Monday 5 January 2009

Peabo Bryson & Roberta Flack 'Tonight I Celebrate My Love'

Chart Peak: 2

YouTube

In stark contrast to yesterday's new-to-me UB40 song, this is one I knew well enough that I was tempted to write this piece without listening back to it at all. There seems to be something about slushy records from early in my life that makes them feel almost inescapable. In the end I felt I had to play it once, but that was plenty.

Perhaps this is unfair on my part. It's difficult for me to find anything about this record that's actually bad; the tune is pretty if unimaginative, and the singing (particularly from Flack) is really quite good. I suppose this record is almost guilty by association because it's so exactly the sort of thing that local radio DJs play late at night and back-announce in a deep voice, normally pronouncing the word "love" as "lurrvve". It's the kind of thing you'd expect to hear as the last dance in a school disco (if you didn't go to a single-sex school) and I wasn't in the least surprised when I searched for Peabo Bryson on Amazon and one of the top results was called Bedroom Classics Volume 2.

At least my rush to get this over with has completed Side Three nice and fast.

Available on: The Very Best of Roberta Flack

No comments:

Post a Comment