Wednesday 15 June 2011

Stan Ridgway 'Camouflage'

Chart Peak: 4

YouTube

Now here's one I really don't remember hearing at all at the time. Maybe it was too scary to be played when young children might be listening.

When I did hear it, I thought it was odd. And when I found out it had been a Top 10 hit I thought that was even odder. American readers might know Ridgway as the former lead singer of Wall Of Voodoo, but I've never knowingly heard their music so I have no idea whether it would shed any light on this gruff-voiced novelty which reminds me oddly of 'Big Bad John'. I doubt it would explain why a song about serving in the US Marines should prove to be such a big hit over Europe, and not in America itself.

As novelty hits go, it's not that annoying but I don't really think it's much cop either. Experience suggests that this is the sort of track that gets a lot of search-engine hits on this blog so if you've come here for that reason, hello. Sorry I'm not more positive.

Available on: The Big Heat

No comments:

Post a Comment