Thursday 2 June 2011

UB40 'Sing Our Own Song'

Chart Peak:

YouTube
The follow-up to 'Don't Break My Heart' had sped to No. 6 by 15th July after just two weeks on release.
The title seems almost like a joke given the band's success with cover versions, but this is a self-composed song which sounds like an attempt to return to the socially-conscious roots of their earliest material. I'd forgotten the song until I played it and then it sounded vaguely familiar but it's not one that seems to have been played much in the last 25 years or so.

I'm not that surprised it's not more remembered though, as it does seem to run out of steam very early on and plods for most of the 3:53 that this single edit lasts: apparently the album cut runs more than seven minutes but I decided that would be beyond the call of duty.

Also appearing on: Now 1, 4, 6, 9, 13, 17, 18, 26, 41, 56
Available on: The Very Best Of

No comments:

Post a Comment