Friday 17 June 2011

The Art Of Noise with Max Headroom 'Paranoimia'

Chart Peak: 12

YouTube
Charted at No. 46 on 17th June 1986 - had sped to No. 12 by 15th July... with Max Headroom taking over the guest role from Duane Eddy

Another one I didn't hear back then, although of course I do remember the phenomenon of Max Headroom.I found him a bit creepy to be honest, possibly because he wasn't quite human. I mean, I knew he was just a bloke with a mask on really but there was still something a bit disturbing to my childish self.

Like a lot of Art Of Noise records, this feels like a better idea on paper than on disc. I can imagine that making a record with a comedy character from a TV commercial seemed very clever and subversive at the time, but what it amounts to in reality is just another rehash of 'Close To The Edit' with some boring dialogue over the top of it. "How can I get to sleep?" asks Max. Try listening to your own record, I'm tempted to reply.

To be generous, it may be that this makes more sense as a soundtrack to the video than as a record in its own right. I wouldn't know, I was a bit too creeped out to watch the whole thing: but in any case that's a pretty poor excuse for including it on a Now! album in sound only. Admittedly this track shows up on the VHS version of this title, but that includes other songs not on the LP or cassette. While on the subject of Max Headroom and videos, anybody who wants to be really scared might want to see the legendary TV interruption from the USA.

Art Of Noise also appear on: Now 13 [with Tom Jones]
Available on: The Best Of The Art Of Noise

No comments:

Post a Comment