Sunday 12 June 2011

Pete Wylie 'Sinful!'

Chart Peak: 13

YouTube
Pete's third Top 20 single, following 'The Story of The Blues' (Wah!) and 'Come Back' (The Mighty Wah!), 'Sinful!' made No. 13 in early June 1986.

I do remember hearing this at the time but couldn't identify it until much later, not least because I thought he was singing "It's simple, it's tragic". I'm aware that Wylie in his various guises has a loyal following, hence his ability to sustain a now three-decade career from only four hits (the other one was a 1991 remix of this with The Farm) and that John Peel was a particular fan: it was he who suggested that Wah! should become Mighty. And yet I get a certain sense that you had to be in the right place at the right time to really appreciate it.

'Sinful!' (exclamation mark and all) does have a big punchy chorus that attracted my eight-year-old ears, although for my 33-year-old ones it has to fight against the now rather stale-sounding production. It also comes with a sense of self-righteousness that feel rather of its time now, at least in the context of such a big hit. He doesn't completely sweep me up in it, though I do enjoy the song - it's just that every time I hear it, it makes me think I'd rather be hearing 'Story Of The Blues' instead.

Available on: Top Of The Pops - One Hit Wonders

No comments:

Post a Comment