Monday 20 July 2009

Tina Turner 'I Don't Wanna Lose You'

Chart Peak: 8

YouTube

From the Foreign Affair album which I remember as an in-car fixture around this time. I think this is also the time in her career when she managed two consecutive Top 10 singles.

Another thing that distinguishes this from most Top 10 hits is that the protagonist implicitly admits in the first line of lyric to be being a woman of a certain age. Admittedly, Turner didn't write this herself (it's by Albert Hammond and the Lyle of Gallagher and Lyle) but it's notable that she was even prepared to sing it. More notable than the song itself, really, which it perfectly serviceable but not very exciting. Certainly a lot less naff than 'The Best' though.

It'll probably ruin it if I mention the bit where I used to sing along "Your dog is responsive," though. So maybe I won't.

Also appearing on: Now 1, 4, 6, 10, 16, 18, 21, 25, 26, 32, 44
Available on: Foreign Affair

No comments:

Post a Comment