Tuesday 21 July 2009

Phil Collins 'I Wish It Would Rain Down'

Chart Peak: 7

YouTube

One thing I've tried to do as I write this blog is examine some of my musical prejudices; I try to approach records honestly and give them a fair hearing even if they're the sort of thing I don't expect to like. And Phil Collins is a case in point, a man surely crying all the way to the bank about the poor reputation he has.

If you're looking to justify all negative sentiments about his work, though, 'I Wish It Would Rain' is a pretty strong exhibit. It comes from ...But Seriously, the album where he started looking for subject matter outside his own life, but this track seems to be an exception, a mopey ballad about, er, being mopey or something - it seems actively to repel interest so I've never really understood what it's about, save that it doesn't seem to cover any broader social issues. Everything about this record sounds like the work of people who are very talented in theory but can't think of anything interesting to do with it, a fault to which Collins is very prone; and just to cap it off here, he brings in Eric Clapton on guitars.

Also appearing on: Now 1, 3, 5, 6, 12, 13, 14, 18, 27, 41, 44, 68.
Available on: ... But Seriously

No comments:

Post a Comment