Monday 13 July 2009

Erasure 'Blue Savannah'

Chart Peak: 3

Last.FM

Who says I never listen to reader feedback?

Obvious jokes aside, it's come to my attention that Now 17 was suggested as a good album to write about, and here it is. Of course, the slight downside is that my mission to get out of the Eighties hasn't got that far, only a few months into 1990 (and in fact, this first track was available on album in 1989).

Unlike 'The Circus', 'Blue Savannah' is a song that I distinctly recall hearing at the time. As I said last time, Erasure seemed to have taken up permanent residence on The Chart Show around this time, and I remember that odd video with the blue hands; that and joking that it was about a Renault. I also remember that I didn't like it very much then (although if that seems harsh, at least it made some impact on me: I don't remember the other three singles from this album at all). Now I'm older I'm a bit more sympathetic to what they were trying to do, and the mood they were trying to create; and I can see why it wouldn't make any sense to an 11-year old. I still wouldn't say I liked it though - for me it just doesn't capture the loneliness or dryness of the desert Andy Bell's singing about. Vince Clarke had proved with Yazoo that he could convey haunting emotion (admittedly with the unfair advantage of Alison Moyet's voice) and yet Erasure have never really work for me in that way.

Also appearing on: Now 09, 10, 13, 14, 16, 20, 21, 22, 23, 28, 29, 54
Available on: Hits! The Very Best of Erasure

No comments:

Post a Comment