Tuesday 30 June 2009

Duran Duran 'New Moon On Monday'

Chart Peak: 9

YouTube

It feels like a long time ago that I was writing about Duran Duran as the second track on Now 1. Here they are now as the second-to-last on this disc.

'New Moon On Monday' is their next-but-one single, the intervening 'Union Of The Snake' having fallen between the cracks, and a relatively small hit by their standards of the time. Some people say that this is roughly the point in their career where they started to lose their way; it's hard for me to judge because I've never really liked them anyway, but this doesn't strike me as being very exceptional Duran. It's less interesting than Howard Jones, which was why I felt sorry for him that he doesn't get to have hits any more and these guys do. I have a vague idea that Super Furry Animals might have heard this song before writing 'Northern Lites'.

Also appearing on: Now 1, 3, 5, 8, 13, 24, 25, 31
Available on: Seven and the Ragged Tiger

No comments:

Post a Comment