Saturday 13 December 2008

Duran Duran 'Is There Something I Should Know?'

Chart peak: 1 (2 weeks)

YouTube

This video doesn't look even remotely familiar to me, beyond the fact that it's pretty typical of the era's style. Split-screen effects! People standing on big boxy sets! Mullets! It must have been very expensive for the time though, and that might hint at how Duran Duran got to be one of the first really big MTV acts.
I knew the song well, enough of course. Despite only two Number One singles, they really did seem to dominate pop music of the time, to an extent which seems to have rankled with them as they've tried to sell records in the subsequent decades.
Perhaps it's partly because of this air of neediness that I've never been able to warm to them, but it's not only that - there always seems to be an uncomfortable blend of self-importantce and stupidity about them; Simon Le Bon's vocals aren't exactly a strong point either. I can, if feeling generous, admire some of the craftmanship here, especially the way it hits you straight off with that pre-chorus ("Please please tell me now") that effectively became the main hook of the song. But the verses could easily be interchangeable with many another Duran song, which is fine if you like them, but unconvincing to the unconvinced.

Maybe if I'd been a bit older at the time, I'd have been keen enough on it then to find it valuable now. Or maybe I'd have dismissed them even earlier than I did, because I don't get the impression it was ever cool to like them, at least not until the last ten years or so.

Also appearing on: Now 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 24, 25, 31.
Available on: Greatest

No comments:

Post a Comment