Wednesday 15 April 2009

Pianoman 'Blurred'

Chart Peak: 6

YouTube

A few weeks ago, after I'd decided I was going to be doing this album, this track happened to crop up on the radio. Uh-oh, I thought. It hasn't aged well. In fact, that's a bit generous, because this sounds pretty awful now. For those who don't remember, it's a dance track largely typical of the era except that it samples the chorus from 'Girls And Boys' by Blur (on Now 28, by the way), and after success in the clubs it was only granted a legitimate release thanks to personal intervention of Damon Albarn.

Surprisingly enough, at the time Blur were my favourite band and yet I didn't regard this as an affront to all I held dear, so I certainly don't think so now. This gets some credit for at least introducing a different tune for the middle section instead of being the same all the way through. But really it's supposed to entertain for a few minutes, and I feel like I'm almost doing it a disservice by listening to it over a decade later.

Available on: Big Mix '96 - 38 Large Dance Hits [Double CD]

No comments:

Post a Comment