Tuesday 21 April 2015

Monie Love 'Born To B.R.E.E.D. (Paisley Park Radio Mix)'

Chart Peak: 18
YouTube
'Born 2 B.R.E.E.D.', written and produced in collaboration with Prince, returned British-bornMonie Love to the UK Top 20 in March '93... Her previous hits have included 'Grandpa's Party' and 'It's A Shame'.
After the confusion of the Sunscreem song title, Ms Love (Ms Gooden as she was born) does at least signpost that her title is an acronym; according to the internet it stands for  "Build Relationships where Education and Enlightenment Dominate". I was going to say that this was a relief, given the overtones of a phrase like "born to breed", but then again that actually is what she says. Of course, it's meant in the sense of defending herself against stereotypes about  young mothers, but clearly it's not all she's done with her life. Indeed, she was reportedly the first British rapper to sign to a major label, as well as becoming a successful songwriter and later a DJ. Still, "So ask me again if I need ghetto assistance/There's food on my table and my baby's not wearing pissed pants" is certainly a distinctive lyric.

Although I remember quite a few of her earlier hits, it never really occurred to me that she was anything other than American, which in the context of late-80s UK rap might have been taken as a compliment. This track isn't really cut from the same cloth, although I probably wouldn't have noticed it much anyway. Though a decent-sized hit in itself, it was her last big UK success.

Available on: In a Word Or Two

No comments:

Post a Comment