Thursday 3 March 2011

Supermen Lovers 'Starlight'

Chart Peak: 2

YouTube
Supermen Lovers is a one-man project masterminded by Paris-based Guillaume Atlan - an ex-student of the Conservatiore Of Music & Stage Performance... Vocals on the huge hit 'Starlight' are provided by Mani Hoffman who first met Guillaume in 1999 when he was the vocalist in Guillaume's first band, School

If you like dance records that peaked at 2, this seems to be the album for you. I have to admit that with the proliferation of French dance tracks around at the time, 'Starlight' didn't much attract my attention at the time, but listening back now it's actually rather a pleasant number, driven by that interesting and insistent bassline and Hoffman's unexpectedly appealing vocal. Not that I've ever really grasped what he's singing about, but I'm not really supposed to, and there's a nice rich quality about it ladled all over the track. Some of the backing vocals are a bit irritating but here's one track that pleasantly surprised me.

Available on: 101 Ibiza Anthems

2 comments:

  1. This is one of a batch of dance tracks from around that era that I was too young to appreciate (I was in my grunge phase) but gained popular traction again in the last few years. I love it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. In my case it might also have helped that I usually listen to the tracks on headphones for these reviews, whereas at the time I'd only have heard them on the radio, and often not paying attention. This can help me to pick out a good bassline or something else - although since this particular track has a bass solo I suppose I should have known all along.

    ReplyDelete