Saturday 5 March 2011

Destiny' Child 'Bootylicious'

Chart Peak: 2

YouTube
Sexy, sassy 'Bootylicious' gave the multi-award winning Destiny's Childa No2 summer smash in July 2001... Beyonce explains that 'Bootylicious' is "a song that congratulates women that don't look like everybody in a magazine... it makes you feel confident about yourself".

Er, how does she know?

I recall that when this came out I thought it sounded like 'Eye Of The Tiger'. And indeed it still does, but I've subsequently learnt that the sample comes from 'Edge Of Seventeen' by Stevie Nicks, and indeed Nicks makes a brief cameo appearance in the video. Like a lot of their material, it has a very slick, show-offy quality that I tend to find rather unengaging, as if they're still determined to convince us they can sing. Yet it works better than some of their tracks, in retrospect, not least because it seems to fit the lyrical tone of the song, which is determinedly confident; more in a spirit of self-respect than self-importance though.

In fact, whilst the protagonists of the song are implied to be addressing a male, I get a strong impression that this record was in reality intended for a largely female audience so in a sense I feel I should abstain a bit from judging it. I can still appreciate the production though, especially the bassline which is greatly beefed up from the Nicks track. In fact I probably like this more now than at the time.

Also appearing on: Now 49
Available on: #1s

No comments:

Post a Comment