Thursday 10 March 2011

Mis-Teeq 'One Night Stand'

Chart Peak: 5

YouTube
For their third hit, Mis-Teeq have hooked up with respected production team Stargate, who have previously worked alongside the likes of Mariah Carey and Mary J Blige... Co-written by the girls, 'One Night Stand' is about "a good night out with your girlfriends".
It's funny, but a lot of Mis-Teeq's records sound better to me now than they did at the time. Doubtless this is partly because my initial disdain for them was overcome by their one truly outstanding single (and sole US hit) 'Scandalous', which encourages me to look more kindly on the songs that led up to it; in fact this song was the follow-up single in America. It's also possible that the emergence of Alesha Dixon as a likeable media figure has charmed me somewhat, although that certainly hasn't made me like her solo stuff.

Despite the title, the sleevenote's description of the lyric seems accurate. To be sure, it's a tribute to female attractiveness, but this says the exact opposite of the unconvincing come-on of 'I'm A Slave 4 U', "Feel free, keep lookin' cause you can't touch me." It's thematically closer to 'Bootylicious', I suppose, but with a slightly different emphasis and atmosphere; no sense of competition here. Although there's something rather warm-hearted about it, only Dixon's mid-song rapped section is truly memorable, admittedly partly because of the dubious rhymes but also for her rather lusty delivery. I guess this is why, much as her solo career has been commercially patchy, it still dwarfs the one single by Sabrina Washington that peaked at 120 last year.

Also appearing on: Now 49
Available on: Best Of

No comments:

Post a Comment