Saturday 13 March 2010

Ultra Naté 'New Kind of Medicine'

Chart Peak: 14

YouTube

I have to admit that when 1998 dawned I had rather a downer on Ultra Naté (her real name, apparently) because I didn't like her chart-hogging 1997 hit 'Free'. As a result, I never gave the follow-ups 'Found A Cure' and 'New Kind Of Medicine' (in that order, oddly enough) much of a fair hearing. Whilst this was the smaller of the two at the time, it has possibly become the better-remembered, if only because it was later covered by former Three Degree Sheila Ferguson, reportedly selling hundreds of copies after a reality TV appearance.

Coming back now, I can tell that this is actually a decent record, and that Ms Naté is a better singer than many who've shown up on dance tracks. The soul-influenced production is quite well executed (I bet it would sound even better if I was listening in a way that conveyed the bass better than a YouTube upload) and the whole thing has a bit more class about it than anything we've yet encountered on this album. It's still not the sort of thing I'd have gone out of my way to listen to, but it's better than I feared.

Also appearing on: Now 37, 39
Available on: Top of the Pops Vol.2 Greatest Hits 1998

No comments:

Post a Comment