Friday 5 March 2010

All Saints 'Lady Marmalade'

Chart Peak: 1 (2 weeks)

YouTube

Oh joy, another cover version.

I can't remember who said that it was a mistake to think All Saints were more real than the Spice Girls just because they wore trousers, but I agree. I can respect that some people might prefer them, but to me it feels slightly self-flattering that some people thought it more socially acceptable to like this lot. If nothing else, you'd think the street cred would have been dented a little by their third single being a double whammy of covers. 

As I recall it from the time, 'Lady Marmalade' was the less promoted "side" of the release.Which was fine by me, as I'm no great fan of the song in any form, but it does mean I've probably heard this version fewer than a dozen times in my life. To give credit where it's due, this isn't an entirely straight cover, as there are new lyrics for the verses which replace the original storyline with a more conventional plea for sex: unfortunately, the new lyrics are cringemakingly bad in places, and with the possible exception of Shaznay Lewis's instinctively dirty rapped verse the performance is resolutely unexciting. The chorus gets undersold too, and that proto-Autotune effect doesn't so much make me think "unbridled passion" as "the producer gave up waiting for her to hit that note". In short, a band I don't like cover a song I don't like badly.

Also appearing on: Now 38, 39, 41, 42, 47, 65
Available on: All Saints

No comments:

Post a Comment