Saturday 20 March 2010

Janet Jackson 'I Get Lonely (TNT Remix edition)'

Chart Peak: 5

YouTube

At the time, I seem to remember seeing the video for the original version of this track, and probably hearing that on the chart rundowns too. Indeed, I don't think I'd ever encountered this mix before, but presumably it was popular enough somewhere to get the nod here. Mind you, although I remember this record existing it didn't make very much of an impact on me at the time and it seems a bit forgotten now: it peaked only one chart position lower than the previous year's 'Together Again', but it lasted less than half as long on the chart. This seemed like the tail-end of the era when a new Janet Jackson album seemed like an event, though she did indeed have several hits after this.

Coming back now one thing I can definitely say for this mix (by Blackstreet) is that it's something of an improvement over the slightly dated (for 1998, I mean) Jam & Lewis production. Better still, Teddy Riley has for once resisted the temptation to smother it all with vocoders. The song itself, co-written by the producers with Jackson and her soon-to-be-ex-husband, is less impressive. But then it's not exactly my scene and in this company it actually feels quite likeable. Anyway, I was never fond of 'Together Again'.

Also appearing on: Now 8, 26, 38, 39, 41, 49, 53 (with Beenie Man)
Available on: The Best [original version?]

No comments:

Post a Comment