Friday 27 July 2012

Janet Jackson 'That's The Way Love Goes'

Chart Peak: 2
YouTube
International superstar Janet Jackson stormed back into the UK chart in May '93 with this cool, dance cut which peaked at No.2.
So, this song is by most definitions her biggest hit: it's the closest she's come to a solo Number One in Britain (she also peaked at 2 in a duet with Luther Vandross) and its eight weeks at the top of the US chart are a record not only for her but for her entire family. And yet I don't remember the song at all. As I've been saying all along, 1993 is a bit of a blank period for me, but I managed to forget it even in the time between originally listening to the tape and looking up the YouTube video yesterday. And I've forgotten how it goes again since then.

While I'm actually listening to it, this is a pretty enjoyable track, a typically slick Jam & Lewis production with the intriguing addition of backing vocals pitched down on the chorus. Jackson herself is in fine voice too, I must admit, and it slips down easy. A bit too easy, frankly. The only other problem is the forced "relaxed" video, which looks like it's been choreographed to within an inch of its life, and features a pre-fame Jennifer Lopez

That concludes Now 26, an album that hasn't been anywhere near as bad as I feared. In fact there's remarkably little crap on there, but rather a lot of mediocrity.

Also appearing on: Now 8, 38, 39, 40, 41, 49, 53 (with Beenie Man)
Available on: Janet

No comments:

Post a Comment